Every year, thousands of people opt for cosmetic and plastic surgery. While the main aim of cosmetic surgery is to improve the outer appearance of a person, plastic surgery aims more at reconstruction. Cosmetic surgery is the procedure that a person chooses to have whereas plastic surgery is normally done after a major injury. But people more often do not really understand the difference between the two and hence there are several misconceptions and myths associated with both the surgeries. Let’s have a look at a few myths and facts related to the two.
- Both Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery are the same – Cosmetic surgery is a field within the domain of plastic surgery. The main aim of plastic surgery is enhancing your appearance. There are many places which provide quality and professional Cosmetic surgery in India. Plastic surgery on the other hand, helps in repairing any birth defect or reconstruct after an injury. For e.g: Getting a breast implant is a cosmetic surgery whereas having a breast reconstruction after a breast cancer surgery is known as plastic surgery.
- The risk of having a Breast Cancer Increases if you have Breast Implants – This is one of the major myths related to breast implants. There has been no proven evidence that getting a cosmetic surgery for breast implants can cause cancer. The surgical implants for breast augmentation are considered safe. However, you should go for routine screenings as you should even without the implants.
- Plastic surgery leaves no scars – People often think that plastic surgery would leave no scar behind. Though the surgeons are great at making those scars look better or smaller, but one needs to remember that all types of surgeries leave some sort of scar formation. There are several renowned doctors who perform plastic surgery in India and have the proper training and experience required for performing the surgery.
- Cosmetic surgery is not for men – Although it is true that it is mostly women who opt for cosmetic surgeries but, with changing times, men too are now opting for cosmetic surgeries. Men generally go for liposuction, nose jobs, breast reduction or eyelid surgery. There are many experienced cosmetic surgeons in India who do it. Do your research properly to find credible doctors and practioners before opting for a surgery.
- Liposuction helps in reducing cellulite and weight – Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery that helps in breaking and sucking the fat from the body. Most often people think it is an effective weight loss mechanism. The surgery just removes the fat cells from the area where it is performed. Surgeons often ask people to actually lose some weight before the surgery. It will make your cellulite look even worse if you are not within 30% of your ideal weight.
Have an exact idea in your mind why you want to go for the surgery. For instance, if you want to improve the appearance of your teeth or gums, cosmetic dentistry is the option. Cosmetic dentistry in India is very advanced and can help you in achieving the desired look. However, before proceeding with cosmetic or plastic surgery, be sure the surgeon understands what exactly you want. Research well and prepare yourself to be able to cope with the physical and the emotional change that comes with the surgery.